Orcworm.co.uk
Chaos server, More players or major overhaul? - Printable Version

+- Orcworm.co.uk (https://orcworm.co.uk)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://orcworm.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://orcworm.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Chaos server, More players or major overhaul? (/showthread.php?tid=940)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Chaos server, More players or major overhaul? - The_Music_Man - 01-25-2012

Prison servers FTW. (As long as I don't have to re-spend the time I spent on Convited q.q)

RE: Chaos server, More players or major overhaul? - MonstaBoi - 01-25-2012

After sampling the local "populous" of faction servers, i have to say that the thing that makes them worthwhile is defiantly a large amount of players. What fun is it if you cant run about and slaughter a few noobs, while dodging the bigger and stronger guys? Also, the way that the spawn is built has a large thing to do with the amount of spawn camping going on, and yes, the camping is VERY off-putting.

RE: Chaos server, More players or major overhaul? - frostythetoejam - 01-25-2012

I completely agree. I feel that if we give new players a place to be safe it will make them want to continue playing. If they just keep getting spawn-camped it really is no fun for them.

I also agree that spawn could be designed a bit differently to prevent as much spawn camping.

RE: Chaos server, More players or major overhaul? - MonstaBoi - 01-25-2012

Short list of things:
1: GET PLAYERS
2: NEW SPAWN, possibly one with a few exits, and about a 100-150 block safe zone around said exit(s) clearly marked with glowstone or something, making it harder to camp. I could build one if needed.
3: Add a SMALL economy. start players with like $50, and have a small shop with a few goods. Don't make mobs drop money, only make money available from goods being sold to adminshops, at moderately unfair as to not let people get 1k in the first 20 minutes.
4: Do SOME donation perks, like kits usable once every few days, but nothing overpowered, like maybe 5 tnt a day depending on donation rank, along with money to buy some of the admin shop goods.
5:(more to come if i think of them)

RE: Chaos server, More players or major overhaul? - frostythetoejam - 01-25-2012

(01-25-2012, 02:32 AM)MonstaBoi Wrote: Short list of things:
1: GET PLAYERS
2: NEW SPAWN, possibly one with a few exits, and about a 100-150 block safe zone around said exit(s) clearly marked with glowstone or something, making it harder to camp. I could build one if needed.
3: Add a SMALL economy. start players with like $50, and have a small shop with a few goods. Don't make mobs drop money, only make money available from goods being sold to adminshops, at moderately unfair as to not let people get 1k in the first 20 minutes.
4: Do SOME donation perks, like kits usable once every few days, but nothing overpowered, like maybe 5 tnt a day depending on donation rank, along with money to buy some of the admin shop goods.

5:(more to come if i think of them)

This is where I do not agree. This is Chaos. You are not supposed to have shops and stuff of this category. Everything should be obtained by the player the original way. If players were to build up enough money there would be no need to even raid or go out and mine or do whatever. All you would have to do is /spawn... mmmmm items that i don't have to work for. That is why we have the bigger factions. The bigger factions should look out and watch over their smaller factions. They should help supply the smaller factions. I think that spawned items will just ruin the entire purpose of Chaos. This is a survival server.

P.S.- I don't mean to sound overly defensive and stuff I just don't want the Chaos server to just turn into another SMP.Tongue

****EDIT**** Could someone explain to me exactly what a prison server is? Im not sure that I am getting the concept of it quite yet.

RE: Chaos server, More players or major overhaul? - Krios101 - 01-25-2012

An economy would slowly turn the chaos aspect of the map into a boring smp survival aspect, anything that is earned needs to be earned from player progress and time put into to earn anything. If this thing turns to a prison server then we just end up with a grind fest in my eyes, and monsta yes I agree that a better spawn needs to be in place to protect new players as the current one is shambles. But monsta tell me if new players get on the server and you end up spawn camping them and they have no factions to go to since all the big guys just deny them.

From looking at early opinion it seems we need an overhaul of sorts to how factions are structured and accessibility plus a few other things which I don't have time to go into detail right now. I can get more ideas of my own up later but for now just feel free to toss around ideas on here to see how they work out.

(01-25-2012, 07:08 AM)Krios101 Wrote: An economy would slowly turn the chaos aspect of the map into a boring smp survival aspect, anything that is earned needs to be earned from player progress and time put into to earn anything.

*sigh of relief* YES! Finally someone who agrees with me!

RE: Chaos server, More players or major overhaul? - Blake - 01-25-2012

No economy, just shops for bartering.

Also, my ideas:
Make it so a person is BOUND to a faction( probably about 4 available), so they are automatically assigned and can't leave until way later (like 2 days playtime). Then they have the choice to join another faction, or stay in the same one.
This will probably make guests feel more like part of the faction, and they can't just take stuff and go on their own thing.

I like that idea... This would be tied in with the larger faction deal too? I think that this might work. I say we have the larger factions and the leaders who manage these smaller factions. The player is automatically put into one of the factions. That player can later request to leave the faction and the leader may let them go.

**Edit** I don't think that the players should be allowed to leave on their own then, because they could just wipe that faction clean. The leaders would have to inspect the situation and remove all faction items away from the player before leaving.

Also I was thinking that if we do have larger factions, we could have a small building at spawn for each of the larger factions as a sort of requests, news, complaints thing for the players. The leaders could check their faction's board and respond to anything the players might want to know/want. Just another idea.

We need a way to bind players to a faction they join at first but make it so at a later date they can leave but I like that suggestion we could remove what they own before leaving so their progress is individually tied to their faction. I am working over the possibility of incentivisng exploration on the server in terms of making lost outposts and maybe use a system similar to dead drops which can contain items or other things to make you want to explore a bit??

RE: Chaos server, More players or major overhaul? - Chazdude42 - 01-25-2012

You could give new players the choice of 4 larger factions when they join, then let them join/create sub-factions that have their own, limited power within the larger faction. This would let new people to the server be part of a faction and build up trust to join people.

Kind of like having 4 different countries and letting them make/join states within their chosen country.

I understand the need for letting people new to here create their own subfaction in a large faction in a sense but I see that one possibility of this is we get closed off factions like now and will lead to too many factions. I think we need to streamline the factions or keep them simple in terms of numbers to stop them spiralling out of control.

I see puppet factions hypothetically as a way of people who want to join in on the closed factions but maybe there could be one person who controls invites to the closed factions / other factions so this means leaving a faction can be controlled so they stick with it but it would be difficult to implement this maybe so just a possibility. Also at least one of the major factions will be open so accessibility wouldn't be an issue so that's a possibility.

RE: Chaos server, More players or major overhaul? - Orcworm - 01-25-2012

Although everyone has new ideas it would be best to first address the core problems with the idea of the chaos server IMO. e.g. players camping, people joining a faction to rob it blind then leaving. I would also suggest implementing full ore masking / anti x-ray though this would affect legitimate players somewhat based on their latency.

RE: Chaos server, More players or major overhaul? - onlinerocker - 01-25-2012

Recreating spawn and making it safer for players would GREATLY improve new players' experience.

Ok better spawn area is a must but i want to know if these anti xray measures have been installed onto chaos server right now and if not why aren't they plus maybe if you leave a faction it can either kill you dropping your inventory or just empty a persons inventory when they leave a faction. I see this as a partial solution to people just joining and leaving. Also how hard is it to make it so that only one person only has the power to decide who leaves a faction or joins them with using the factions plugin without reverting to using user groups?

Ok so spawn camping is a major issue I know but alongside making a better spawn how can we combat this?